Start the Journey to Quit
Have you made the decision to quit tobacco?
One of the keys to successfully quitting is preparation. Below are steps to guide you along your journey to quit, courtesy of the Tobacco Cessation Program at Valley View:
- Identify your personal reasons to quit smoking. Make a list of all the reasons you want to quit and keep it where you can see it every day.
- Identify your smoking triggers. Make a list of everything that makes you feel like smoking and write down ways you can avoid each item on your list.
- Plan a quit date and circle it on your calendar.
- Let loved ones know you are quitting. They can offer you support and hold you accountable.
- Remove reminders of smoking. Throw away all your cigarettes—even the “just in case” pack, matches, lighters, and ashtrays.
- Develop coping strategies for medication and behavior changes. Exercise can help you manage withdrawal symptoms, including cravings.
- Have places you can turn to for immediate help. Plan on multiple quit smoking support options, such as Smokefree TXT and other quit smoking apps you can download to your smartphone.
- Set up rewards for quit milestones. You should be proud every time you hit a quit smoking milestone, so treat yourself to a dinner or a movie. Plan out your milestones ahead of time.
- SmokeFree.gov provides additional resources for support.
We’re here for you! The Tobacco Cessation Program at Valley View is a series of three classes that begin the first Tuesday of every month from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. The cost for the series is $40. For more information, location, or to register for a class series, call 970.384.7168.